[libvoikko] Changes to libreoffice-voikko for reliable (un)installation

Sjur Moshagen sjurnm at mac.com
Mon Sep 1 13:31:01 EEST 2014

1. sep. 2014 kl. 11:02 skrev Sjur Moshagen <sjurnm at mac.com>:

> 1. sep. 2014 kl. 09:03 skrev Sjur Moshagen <sjurnm at mac.com>:
>
>>> One thing that could explain this is that you are using 64 bit version of
>>> LibreOffice. If the META-INF/manifest.xml file in your extension states that
>>> the component is for 32 bit OS X it would simply be ignored when you use 64
>>> bit LibreOffice. In that case the symptoms would be exactly those you are
>>> seeing.
> [...]
>> What is left to do is to build a 64-bit or - preferably - a universal binary version of LO-voikko. In the meantime, I will document to our users that only 32-bit LO is supported for now.
>
> I am now trying to build a 64-bit version. I had to change to MacOSX 10.8, because LO 4.3 requires 10.8, despite the system requirements page stating that 10.6 is the minimum :(
>
> Anyway, I can make the OXT work with 64-bit LO 4.3 - but only using a FULL debug OXT. As soon as I turn off the debugging, the oxt goes blank as if it was a 32-bit build.
>
> I have checked the voikko.dylib, and it is decidedly 64-bit. I have also checked the platform attribute in the manifest.xml, and it says MacOSX_x86_64.
>
> Something is clearly different between the two build modes, but I am unable to pinpoint what that is.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

I have continued to try to build with different versions of the SDK/LO and the LO-voikko code, and have been able to nail down the issue to a reproducible condition. This is the executive summary:

* there is no 64-bit release of LO prior to LO 4.2
* only the latest code of LO-voikko from trunk (with the implementation of passive component loading) is installable under LO 4.2+ (if I build with code before these changes I get the error in [1] when installing)
* all binary files are 64 bit (checked with ‘file FILENAME.[o|dylib]’)
* META-INF/manifest.xml is generated with the correct platform code (platform=MacOSX_x86_64)
* both DEBUG=FULL and DEBUG=NO gives a non-working OXT __when LibreOffice is launched through Finder__ (as most users will do)
* IFF I start LO from the command line (ie something like "$ /Applications/LibreOffice43_64.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice") THEN LO-voikko does work correctly
* any subsequent launches of LO gives a working LO-voikko, irrespective of how LO is started
** __that is:__ one has to start LO __once__ from the command line to get 64-bit LO-voikko operiational, after that it works the regular way

I have no idea why it is so, but this pattern is reproducible and consistent. Except for the 64-bitness of things, the OXT source is exactly the same one as used to build the 32bit version for LO 4.1+.

Sjur

[1] loading component library <file:///Users/sjur/Library/Application%20Support/LibreOffice/4/user/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/lujmsgi3.tmp_/voikko.oxt/voikko.dylib> failed