[libvoikko] Choice of native code inclusion in voikko.oxt for LibreOffice

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Mon Aug 9 16:28:21 EEST 2021

On 06/08/2021 21:22, Harri Pitkänen wrote:
> The main reason was that I did not want ordinary users to install this
> on Linux as that would often result in two versions of the extension to
> be installed simultaneously: this and the one they get as part of
> distro's Finnish language support. At least in some occasions that
> resulted in problems that were hard to debug by email.
>
> But if this is no longer a problem (have not tested this since 2009 or
> so) and there are users who would use it then it would be fine to add
> native code for Linux as well.

Ah, I had naively assumed that what came first was a voikko.oxt that
contained native code only for macOS and Windows, and that the Linux
distros then responded to that by providing it as a distro-packaged
bundled LibreOffice extension, not the other way around.

I have not checked whether the issue you describe above is still an
issue today.

I had asked here in the context of the LibreOffice flatpak issue
<https://github.com/flathub/org.libreoffice.LibreOffice/issues/122> "Add
Voikko for Finnish spell check", where a voikko.oxt that would also work
on Linux (and thus also in a flatpak) would have nicely solved the
user's issue.  However, I'm now addressing that by providing Voikko as a
bundled extension for the LibreOffice flatpak (similar to how Linux
distros provide it as a bundled extension in their distro-specific
package formats).