[libvoikko] Rust bindings

Harri Pitkänen hatapitk at iki.fi
Sun Feb 3 23:05:35 EET 2019

Hi!

Ronja Koistinen kirjoitti 2019-02-03 21:46:
> I have spent the weekend writing a Rust crate which implements
> libvoikko
> bindings for the language. It isn't quite feature-complete yet and test
> coverage isn't 100%, but I feel it's close enough for today :)
>
> The repo is here: https://github.com/ronjakoi/voikko-rs

Looks really good to me. Thanks you for taking this task! I added the
link here

   https://github.com/voikko/corevoikko/wiki/ProgrammingLanguages

but you can of course add details and/or more links to help Rust
developers
as I am not that familiar with the language myself.

> It is not yet available on the central Rust repository crates.io, but I
> will probably publish it during next week.
>
> I have a question about version numbers: should the version of my crate
> be 4.1.1, which is the version of libvoikko I have tested against, or
> should the version of the crate be independent, e.g. 1.0?

I think independent versioning would be better. Libvoikko currently does
not
follow semantic versioning (although it might be good to change that).
And
some major changes such as adding or removing dictionary backends do not
necessarily affect bingings at all so you might end up making releases
that
do not actually contain any changes.

We have many bindings now shipped directly as part of libvoikko source
code.
It is of course possible to have your Rust bindings there as well. But
I'm
not sure if that makes things easier or more difficult. Maybe only
JavaScript
really belongs there as it is the only one of them that actually needs
access
to libvoikko source code. All other bindings just wrap the compiled
native
library and thus could be handled as separate projects. But I have no
strong
preference either way and trust your judgement on this. Let me know what
you
think.

Harri